General Education Assessment Planning
General Education Program Courses, Distribution, & Functional Competencies
Maps GEP courses to the UMBC Functional Competencies, including First-Year Seminars.
- Assessment of General Education Courses
Contextualizes General Education assessment and offers a sample assessment plan.
- How You Develop an Assessment Plan for UMBC General Education Courses
Offers a chart to help plan General Education assessments.
Program/Department Assessment Planning & Reporting
- An Assessment Walkthrough
Walks you through the assessment cycle to streamline assessment planning.
- Assessing Student Learning in Departments or Programs
Offers an overview of learning assessment with a detailed look at direct and indirect measures.
- Assessing Student Learning in STEM Departments or Programs
Combines an assessment overview with planning templates, examples for using evidence, and ways to gather learning data.
- Assessment Report Resources from the FDC
Presents a template to help departments prepare assessment reports.
- Examples of Evidence of Student Learning
Lists examples of direct and indirect assessments.
- UMBC Curriculum Map Template
Presents a sample curriculum map and template, so you can visualize student learning across your program. This Excel file also includes a course-level curriculum map template and example.
Graduate Assessment Resources
- Graduate Curriculum Map and Rubrics Templates
This Excel file presents multiple worksheets, including a sample graduate curriculum map, rubric templates for courses and milestones, and aggregators to help you gather the results across the program.
- Master of Arts in Texts, Technologies, and Literature Assessment Plan
Presents a sample graduate assessment plan. The English Master of Arts Assessment Committee worked with FDC staff to create this plan. They began with An Assessment Walkthrough (see above), adapted the Graduate Curriculum Map and Rubric Templates (see above) to their needs, and assessed and revised their plan using the WASC Program Learning Outcomes rubric.
- Effective Grading
Contains a section on rubrics with examples.
- How to Use Blackboard to Measure Learning
Gives step-by-step instructions for crafting rubrics in Blackboard and accessing the aggregated data.
- Mapping the Curriculum: A Low-tech Model for Synthesizing Assessments and Improving Learning at Multiple Levels by Jennifer M. Harrison and Vickie Williams
This article in the Summer 2017 issue of Intersection, the Association for the Assessment of Learning in Higher Education‘s quarterly publication, describes the process of curriculum mapping with examples from UMBC’s Office of Undergraduate Education.