Timeline – Before Classes Start
More Than One Month Before
- Start writing goals, objectives or desired learning outcomes.
- Begin considering what kinds of assignments students will do.
- Sign your contract. Do this as early as possible so that you can be paid in a timely manner. It is also helpful to complete employment paperwork so that you can be put into the university computer system as quickly as possible; you must be in the system to set up your myUMBC account.
One Month Before
- Start drafting your syllabus.
- Order books.
- Gather course documents (journal articles, useful websites, films, etc.)
- Set up your UMBC email account.
- Start setting up your Blackboard shell.
Two Weeks Before
- Visit your classroom to make sure you know where it is, what it’s like and what equipment is available to you.
- Check the A/V and other classroom technology to make sure it works with whatever device you plan to use.
- Make sure you can access your roster. Your enrollment will probably change several times over the course of the next month.
One Week Before